This was one of the errors that I received when trying to install the Windows Phone 8 SDK in my Windows 8.1 system and trying to create a new project and run it. The error message was
“The Windows Phone Emulator wasn’t able to create the virtual machine, something happened while creating a switch”…
The Windows Phone 8 emulator has the prerequisite that the system needs to have the Hyper-V support and also requires the second level address translation.
Here’s a simple solution that fixed the issues and worked for us.
1. Open Hyper-V Manager in your Windows 8.1 system.
2. Navigate to the Virtual Switch Manager.
3. Remove any existing switches.
4. Create a new Virtual Switch and set the connection type as internal and reboot the system.
5. Now, launch the emulator from Visual Studio. It should work fine.